A few final reminders:
- bring a case of water
- luggage drop off is in the theatre Thursday morning 8-9AM
- students come to chorus room at 11AM with backpacks
- students will eat lunch–bag lunch or school lunch–in the chorus room
- dinner Thursday and lunch Sunday are NOW PROVIDED. So, a student could hypothetically bring $0 on the trip and be completely good to go. FYI.
- get excited!!!!
Here is the packing list once again:
- ONE labeled luggage that can fit under bus or in top compartment
- MUST bring concert attire (dress/shirt/pants/cummerbund/bowtie, black dress shoes)–in a labeled bag/garment bag
- MUST bring 2 DMS Chorus Trip shirts (will receive in class next week)
- MUST bring a case of water, to be stored under the bus
- Shirts for the non-chorus-shirt days
- Comfortable pants (would bring 1 pair of shorts/capris and 1 pair of long pants)
- Jacket or hoodie for bus/hotel/colder weather
- Good walking shoes
- Socks (hotels can be cold!)
- Water bottle
- Small bag or badge-holder for bus and/or to carry around park (waterproof is preferable)
- Spending money for souvenirs
- Any school make-up work you want to complete on the bus
- G or PG movies to watch on the bus
- If you plan on bringing a selfie stick…be aware those are strictly prohibited on rides at Busch Gardens
Remember that on all school-related trips you must follow dress code!
January 31, 2018
Dear Dickerson Parents:
One of our shared goals at Dickerson Middle School is to promote excellent character choices and sound safety practices with our students/children both in and out of school. Recently, several incidences have been brought to my attention that raise great apprehension for your child’s continued safety. It is unfortunate that as your child’s principal I must write a letter that asks for all drivers to enter our parking lot in the safest manner possible. Drivers are driving too fast, not pulling up to the end of the sidewalk to enable as many drop offs as possible, driving through the parking lot to avoid the carpool line thus having students cross the drive, not allowing staff members to cross safely to enter the building, and dropping off students on Woodlawn and at exits on Chestnut Lake Drive to avoid the carpool line.
This may be a good time to reflect upon morning routines so that if students want to participate in before school activities, time is put into morning rituals to ensure enough travel time to drop your child off safely at the school. Please do not put your child at risk by failing to provide the proper time in your plans to drop him or her off at the appropriate front entrance and adhering to sound and safe driving habits. As a reminder, students may not be dropped off before 8:00 A.M. If they do arrive or leave the school during any time of the day, this must be done at the front entrance. I will not compromise on our students’ safety. Please remember that the official start time for middle school is 8:45 A.M. The 8:00 instrumental practices, extra study sessions, clubs and so forth are not a part of the normal school day and I sincerely appreciate all staff members who donate their personal time to provide these for our students.
Again, I appreciate all the calls and emails I have received. I appreciate you allowing me to share my concerns as these are safety issues I simply cannot ignore. Let’s work together to share the road, the carpool line and model safe carpool driving habits for students who will be driving themselves in the near future.
Dr. Carole Brink
We are offering blue Dickerson Chorus garment bags for purchase!
Buy yours for just $5!
–Keep your formal attire clean and have everything zipped up together!–
Highly recommended for current or future 8th grade chorus students.
Payment due JANUARY 31.
The Greater Atlanta Girls’ Choir is starting a NEW satellite location in Cobb County!
This is a renowned ensemble open to girls grades 3-12. This is an excellent way to push yourself musically while having lots of fun and working at a much more advanced pace, with many travel performing opportunities. Click here for the flyer and more information.
There will be an informational meeting on TUESDAY, JANUARY 16, and auditions are the following week.
Happy Winter Break!
Eighth Grade students AND parents attending the spring trip, there is a mandatory online registration our travel company requires every participant (even Ms. G!) to complete. I cannot submit rooming lists until each person has registered online. It takes only about 2 minutes. Parents must be the ones to register their child–there are things you need to sign off on.
Please take a moment to download the document here and register online–do it now before you forget!
THIS IS DUE JANUARY 31, 2018
We have been given the official word that the 6th grade winter performance will now be TOMORROW at 2:50PM in the DMS theatre. This performance, like our concerts, is open to the public (please sign into the front office first). We encourage you to attend–the students have worked hard and deserve a great audience, “heedless of the wind and weather!” 🙂